Thursday, October 29, 2009

Miracles Happen!!!

Good news! I had a bone marrow biopsy (BMB) and blood tests on Monday and Dr. K says my critical blood counts are all above the minimum thresholds for remission (even if the platelets and neutrophils are below the low-end normal standards). For remission, they use a platelet count of 100K vice 160K. For neutrophils, they use 1.5 vice 1.73. Still, we must get the results of my flow cytometry to determine the level of malignant cells still in the peripheral bloodstream before we can say for sure that it's a complete remission (CR).

The percent infiltration in my marrow is now 30% -- down from a peak of 80% one month after chemo. This is great news, but the level of infiltration is still very high, and I wouldn't be surprised if I relapsed within 20 months. I want to do something about it -- take Rituxan and eradicate it. Unfortunately, I believe the presence of disease in the marrow is used as a control for comparative analysis, not as a qualification for determination of Minimal Residual Disease (MRD) and treatment with Rituxan.

MRD testing is still in its infancy and uses less invasive flow cytometry of peripheral blood in lieu of bone marrow biopsy. Flow cytometry of bone marrow aspirate (BMA) can also be performed, but that is invasive. The goal is to make bone marrow biopsies after the first chemotherapy treatment for Hairy Cell obsolete by developing reliable hyper-sensitive MRD tests along with some other proprietary techniques. Hence, if my flow test does not show MRD, treatment with Rituxan will wait until it does, even though we know there is still significant disease in the marrow. This means the number hairies in the marrow may increase, although they very well may continue to decrease at this point.

The truth is I want my flow to show MRD so I can zap the hairies in the marrow ASAP. If the hairies in the marrow are continuing to die off, then the Rituxan will accelerate the process. If they have already nadired and are on the way back up, then I definitely want to hit them while they're still down.

Now for the bad news. They want more bone marrow aspirate before they treat me with the Rituxan so I've got to go back in for another bone marrow aspiration. That'll be my fourth in the past 7 months. I'm anxious to do it though, because I think there's a good chance it will help a lot with evaluating MRD in the future.

Here's a plot showing a very dramatic increase in the number of neutrophils since last week:



The NCI threshold for remission is 1.5. As you can see, my neutrophils are now at their highest level since I've been collecting CBC data. I'm very relieved, but I'm ready to keep going.

I'll keep you posted.


Update: I just received the peripheral and BMA flow results. The percentage of hairies in the peripheral bloodstream is down to .2%. The percentage in the marrow aspirate is 4%. Thus, MRD has been detected at 6 months post-chemo. I'll go in for another BMA procedure on Monday. The current plan is to see if the BMA hairies will clone before starting Rituxan. This will take a week, so we'll hold off treatment until November 9th.

No comments:

Post a Comment