Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Hairy Cell Leukemia: A Pleasant Surprise...

It's been a week since my restaging appointment at NIH.  Those of you in the trial know the routine:  CBC bloodraw in Phlebotomy, MRI and ultrasound in Imaging, then bone marrow biopsy and aspiration (my tenth) in Out-patient Procedures.  Get an X-ray and EKG in between those appointments. 

Waiting for results over the past week was nerve-wracking.  I got the CBC results that day.  My platelets were down slightly.  All white counts were normal, but looked like they were trending down too.  Red counts were fine, and they had certainly been pulling their share during all the recent hikes I've taken. 

Recovering from a head cold, I thought maybe that could account for the slight dip I perceived in the platelets and neutrophils.  Last year, 18 months after my final Rituxan treatment, my bone marrow aspirate came back slightly positive (.08%) for HCL.  At the time, Dr. K indicated that it might come back negative in a year, but I didn't think it would.  I assumed the cells would double every 3 weeks, and I'd have 60 to 80 weeks before I would need to be retreated.  Enough time to maybe let me get into an inhibitor trial and avoid chemo, which suppressed my marrow much longer than expected when I was first treated.  Thinking about going back for retreatment and the possibility of another chemo was starting to wear on me. 

Well, I'm pleased to report that both my peripheral blood and bone marrow aspirate flow results were negative for hairy cell leukemia - providing further data to show that using Rituxan to treat minimal residual disease (MRD) may allow the body to get an upper hand in keeping the disease in check.  In my case, chemo didn't get me into a partial or complete remission (CR), and a first cycle of Rituxan at 6 months post chemo to treat continued HCL infiltration allowed me to get a short-term CR.  A year later, when MRD first appeared, the second cycle of Rituxan had the opportunity to knock out what remained.

I've been in CR ever since that final treatment, and now there's no evidence of HCL at all!  My body is keeping it in check and appears to have eliminated the small amount that was detected last year.  Although the PCR lab was never able to clone my hairy cells to perform the hyper-sensitive MRD test and determine if HCL is completely eradicated from my body, I'm elated that I appear to have the upper-hand at this point.  The only supplement I take is 1000 IU of Vitamin D in the winter.  My diet is relaxed and normal, just no junk food or soda.  My ultrasound tech said my liver was now "textbook" and no longer fatty like it was when I was first diagnosed.

I couldn't have gotten to this point had I not participated in the NIH trial for newly diagnosed HCL patients.  I'm eternally grateful to Dr. K, Rita and the fantastic team at NIH.

9 comments:

  1. Hi Jon,

    I just found your blog from a post on the "User Friendly HCL site". I just had my 6 month after Rituximab at NIH on July 10th. I am happy to report that both the Flow and BMB show no evidence of Hairy Cells! But like you I have LON. I get another CBC on Wednesday and that will determine if I need the Neupogen or not. Not too worried as I feel great otherwise!

    Thanks for your blog!

    George

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi George,

    Thanks for the comment and glad you are doing well! Rituxan-related late onset neutropenia (LON) may occur in 20% of patients. It usually occurs 14 to 16 weeks after the final round of RTX, so 6 months after the first round of the 8 week NIH protocol is right on target. It's short lived -- usually around 2 to 3 weeks. Some cases may take longer. Regardless, you're in good hands with the team at NIH.

    Congratulations!
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon....It was a pleasure to read your intelligent, well-written blog....you are an amazing spokesman. Thank you for all the links and explanations. Continued health and happiness!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jonathan,
    Thank you for taking the time to post your HCL story. I was diagnosed on 11/11 after several months of chasing every known viral/bacterial cause for my symptoms. My office is about 10 blocks from NIH and Dr Kreitman. I have driven past that complex so many times but never suspected my life would one day be dependent upon it. I met Dr Kreitman and Betty for the first time yesterday and left them 22 vials as well as marrow samples from my first aspiration and hope to be able to participate in the trial. I am virgin material as far as treatment goes so I hope I can qualify.

    As I am sure you know I am in the emotional roller coaster stage. 43yo with two fantastic kids, (1 ready for college and 1 baseball fanatic) and an amazingly supportive wife. This diagnosis was not in my plan. Knowledge is power but reading the Internet has in some cases been a curse, however I found your blog to be insightful and helpful with maintaining hope.

    I wish you continued health and once again thank you for sharing your experiences and knowledge.
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob,

    Sorry to hear about your HCL diagnosis, but as you probably know by now, HCL is a manageable disease with an excellent prognosis. Glad to hear you're so close to NIH and hope you qualify for the trial.

    Don't hesitate to ask questions and check out Rob's User Friendly HCL site (see blog sidebar).

    Best wishes to you and your family,
    Jon

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Jon! Thanks for your wonderful blog, it will always be a great tool of information for all of us!
    I have a question hope you can help me! Based on what factors is the rituxan therapy decided to complete inmediately after the chemo or to wait 6 months after?
    Hope u can help me
    Once again thank u!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Alvaro,

    I'm glad the blog has been helpful to you. For the NIH study, the Rituxan therapy is randomized into two groups/cohort. The first cohort receives the Rituxan simultaneously with Cladribine. The second cohort is delayed Rituxan at least 6 months after Cladribine, but Rituxan is only given if there is evidence of minimal residual disease (MRD). Dr. Kreitman is very accessible and can answer any questions you may have. Feel free to reach out to him using the contact information provided in the sidebar.

    Best wishes for a complete remission,
    Jon

    ReplyDelete