Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Big Day Tomorrow

All the major testing is done. I go up to NIH tomorrow at 1:30 with luggage in tow. They ordered some last minute blood tests for tomorrow before my clinic appointment with Dr. K at 2:30. That appointment is the last gating factor before I can be admitted and treated in the trial. If accepted, I'll then be told whether I randomized to Cladribine and Rituximab or Cladribine only, then the PICC will get installed. Fortunately, I was just told that I don't have to fast for the blood test and only have to fast 6 hours before the PICC is installed, so I can finally eat breakfast again.


If all goes well, I may only have to stay in the hospital for 2 days, then return home and do the remainder of the drug treatments on an outpatient basis.


Today's tests included an abdominal ultrasound. The lab technician was superb -- very fun to talk to and she liked explaining the physics of the device as she made the measurements. She told me how they can peform vascular exams with ultrasound now -- avoiding the IV contrast and radiation that were previously required with the CT scan. She examined the liver, spleen, kidneys, and gallbadder. My spleen measured over 1 cm smaller on the ultrasound than it did on the CT scan nearly 3 weeks ago. This was probably just due to the way I was positioned, but wouldn't it be great if it were due to a reduction in sequestered hairy cells?! I may never know for sure, but I'll ask Dr. K if that is a normal variance.


The coolest test had to be the echocardiogram -- it's basically an ultrasound of the heart. I got to see my valves moving and heart muscles pumping. It was fascinating technically, but didn't compare to the emotional rush the first time I saw Claire's heartbeat.


I want to thank everyone for all the well wishes, prayers and loving gestures you have made. They've truly humbled me, and I'm forever grateful. I can feel the energy of your prayers and thoughts and I know they are working. Regardless of our personal religious beliefs, we all share a common devine energy through our prayers and love for each other, which unites us as one family. I am blessed to have all of you as part of mine.

Love to all
Sola Virtus Invicta!

No comments:

Post a Comment