Monday, April 20, 2009

Buckets 'O Fun

You knew I was going to make that the title for this post, didn't you? Among other things, I got my urine buckets today. In the immortal words of Forrest Gump, "That's all I've got to say about that."

Over the past month, my blood counts' declines are much less compared to the large decrease I experienced in February (relatively speaking), so I think my nutrition changes have helped slow things down. Platelets are at 83, and I haven't felt lightheaded in days, so I'm happy about that. My absolute neutrophil count is still above 1.25 but continuing to decline, so I'm anxious to get started with chemo before the chance of infection gets any worse. Urinalysis and blood chemistry were nearly perfect.

I didn't have to do a CT scan today because the prior one ordered by my hemonc was good enough for study purposes. The less radiation the better. My chest X-ray was typical for someone my age, and I haven't seen my EKG results yet. Total elapsed time for the EKG was about 3 minutes. It took longer to hook up all the probes than to make the measurement.

Total cholesterol is at 120, with HDL (good chol.) at 28 mg/dL and LDL (bad chol.) at 55 mg/dL. Compared to 30 and 85 on February 5th, it looks like my hairy buggers are having a roto-rooter feast, but of course my diet is very different now from what it was then. On the bright side, I suppose my pipes will be clean once I recover. It'll be interesting to see where these numbers go 6 months after chemotherapy.

I'm keeping this one quick. I go back tomorrow to turn in the bucket, get my abdominal ultrasound and an echocardiogram.

T-1 day and counting...

No comments:

Post a Comment